Top Military Reunion Destination Certified Military Reunion Partner
Visit Waterloo, Iowa Convention & Visitors Bureau
Waterloo is located in the northeast quadrant of Iowa and easily accessible from all major Midwest markets. It’s conveniently located at the crossroads of Interstate 380 and Highways 218, 63 and 20, and just minutes from Waterloo Regional Airport.
Why Waterloo, Iowa for your military reunion?
Waterloo, Iowa is affordable. The Waterloo Convention & Visitors Bureau offers a grant assistance program for planners hosting their military reunion in Waterloo.
Fundable items include:
- Advertising and marketing of the reunion
Waterloo, Iowa has a rich military history with many military-focused things to do.
- The Five Sullivan Brothers were born and raised in Waterloo, and they served together aboard the U.S.S. Juneau during World War II. On Friday, November 13, 1942, the U.S.S. Juneau was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine. Their supreme sacrifice to our country will never be forgotten. When you come to Waterloo, Iowa, you will see where the brothers grew up and visit the Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum.
- The Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum honors the service and sacrifice of all Iowa veterans from the Civil War to present. The museum has interactive activities, an electronic Wall of Honor, and more than 1,000 video interviews.
- Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Park is located on the banks of the Cedar River. The park features a white marble fountain restored from the Civil War. The park is an excellent location to have a memorial service with a 21 gun salute, Taps played by a trumpeter, the Missing Man Table, and the Navy ship bell rung after each departed name has been read.
- The Iowa Army National Guard Air Aviation Support Facility offers tours to see today’s military. Sit inside a Black Hawk helicopter, see today’s military rations and night vision equipment.
Waterloo, Iowa has other points of interest that include:
- Galleria de Paco
- John Deere Engine Works
- John Deere Tractor Cab Assembly Operations
- John Deere Tractor & Engine Museum
- Lost Island Waterpark
- National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum
- Golfing, dining, shopping and more!
How can we help you?
The Waterloo Convention & Visitors Bureau is a one-stop-shop. We offer many complimentary services:
Prior to the reunion:
- Provide letters of support
- Prepare proposals and presentations
- Offer affordable group room rates
- Assist the planner in coordinating the entire military reunion itinerary/schedule
- Design military reunion flyers and posters to promote your event
- Provide recommendations for speakers and entertainment
- Grant assistance program
During the event:
- Arrange a welcome address by a city official and/or Bureau staff
- Each attendee will receive a complimentary, custom designed military reunion hat pin
- Provide customized name badges
- Supply coupons to local restaurants and attractions
I really appreciated the Waterloo Convention & Visitors Bureau’s support! I would not have chaired without them behind me, directing and keeping me going!